Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) Marketing & Communications Associate
The Marketing & Communications Associate (MCA) coordinates activities that publicize the programmatic work of Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) and supports the organization’s goals for remaining a consistent and trusted leader in our movement. The MCA creates and drives the organization’s marketing, PR, and digital content (including social media) through internal and external communications. The MCA is a core member of the team and is responsible for developing and implementing communications and marketing programs, maintaining the organization’s brand integrity, creating and managing content, distributing content across all communication channels, and supporting programmatic work. In addition, the MCA collaborates with F.E.P.’s team to support the organization’s strategic direction through communications and marketing, as well as creating and managing long-term growth-oriented goals for the organization’s public image.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of excelling in the same (or a closely aligned) position, is self-motivated, energetic, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented with a passion for F.E.P.’s mission to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. They will thrive in a fast-paced environment and be prepared to collaborate on rapid response messaging, think creatively under pressure, and craft inclusive messaging that is timely and relevant. They should have a strong understanding of the media landscape and best practices for engaging with members of the press.
This position reports to F.E.P.’s Executive Director.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop and implement strategic, media-worthy campaign events; implement tactics that are successful in attracting media attention.
- Handle rapid-response communications; develop messages to defend F.E.P.’s positions; and write op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, and other media/social media materials.
- Actively find ways to insert our programmatic work into trending news and news related to our work in the media. Draft press releases for significant campaign announcements.
- Envision and implement online (and in-person, once safe to do so) educational events to engage our supporters in our work.
- Write and copy-edit content for F.E.P. publications, websites, social media channels, and emails.
- Lead and manage the production of creative print and online collateral, including high-impact ads and clever web videos, shareable social media content, etc.
- Organize and curate F.E.P.’s digital assets and media mentions.
- Train, coach, and prepare staff for media interviews/talks/appearances, and educate staff on communication best practices.
- Conduct target- and market-specific media research as necessary to support programmatic objectives.
- Cultivate relationships with reporters, media outlets, social media influencers, vendors, and other strategic allies who can help in promoting our programs with the media.
- Create press lists and keep the media contact database current.
- Act as media liaison during events.
- Craft and implement long-term strategic plans for F.E.P.’s communications and marketing program.
- Develop a budget and operating plan for communications in collaboration with the F.E.P. team.
- Create and manage a communications calendar with deadlines for ongoing marketing and social media campaigns.
- Contribute to staff-wide strategy meetings and stay current on media and marketing developments in vegan food justice issues.
- Strategize and implement digital marketing and communications campaigns, gather and analyze the data, prepare learnings from the results to inform future communications.
- Develop brand awareness and help produce brand guidelines and other related materials (e.g., social media toolkit and press guidance/kits).
- Identify holes/trends and opportunities for brand enhancement.
- At least two years’ experience in working in marketing and communications, preferably at a nonprofit.
- Proven experience in the same (or closely aligned) field and demonstrable experience in media relations and public relations.
- Proven ability to develop creative offline and online content.
- Familiarity and experience with visual storytelling.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral); solid copy-editing skills; strong framing and messaging skills that are adaptable to various offline and online media and public settings, organizational meetings, and one-on-one interactions.
- Confidence and willingness to defend the organization, our values, and our positions publicly.
- Proven ability to build relationships with reporters.
- In-depth knowledge of best writing and messaging practices for organizational correspondence, public relations, advertising, marketing, and social media.
- Experience in social media marketing and willingness to experiment/test to improve results.
- Good data analysis, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, creativity, and willingness to learn new skills.
- Excellent project-management skills, including time management, goal-setting, multitasking, and prioritization in a heavy workload.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail and follow-up.
- Able to work in a fast-paced, team environment and effectively engage with colleagues of all levels and across departments and geographies.
- Able to work independently and be self-motivated and dependable.
- Leadership abilities, including training and mentorship.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel), working knowledge of program/project management software (Basecamp), and Google Drive or other management systems.
- Understanding of Food Empowerment Project’s mission and philosophy and a commitment to F.E.P.’s values.
- Existing relationships with media outlets/reporters who cover issues closely related to our programmatic areas of work.
- Bilingual in Spanish.
Job location: While our office is in San José, California, we are willing to consider a remote working arrangement for exceptional candidates. We are only able to hire U.S.-based candidates at this time. No relocation assistance is available.
Starting annual salary: $50,000 USD.
Benefits: Health care reimbursement for medical, dental, and vision premiums; paid vacation time of 3 weeks per year and increasing accrual based on tenure with the organization; and a professional development budget.
Application deadline: We’re accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Our goal is to fill the position as soon as possible.
Application process: Please send us your resume highlighting relevant experience and skills and a 1-page statement of interest, including a self-assessment of your strengths and weaknesses as they directly relate to this position. Please email your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing & Communications Associate.” No phone calls, please.
People of color, women and non-binary folks, immigrants, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply!
About Food Empowerment Project
Food Empowerment Project, founded in 2007, seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We seek specifically to empower those with the fewest resources. Our advocacy areas include spotlighting the abuse of animals on farms, fighting against unfair conditions for produce workers, calling for the availability of healthy foods in Black and Brown communities and low-income areas, and the conservation of natural resources. We encourage healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society. Food Empowerment Project is a registered non-profit 501(c)(3).