Sift together the following:
1 and 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp. sugar *
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together the following:
2 Tbsp oil
1 1/4 cups water or 1/2 cup soymilk and 3/4 cup water
* add more sugar if you like sweeter pancakes
- Pour wet mix into the dry and mix with wooden spoon only until somewhat lumpy, which makes the cakes light. If you beat the batter smooth, the pancakes will be tough.
- The batter should be thin enough to pour; if it’s not, add more water.
- Heat the griddle over medium high flame. An easy way to determine if it is hot enough put a pea sized drop of batter in the griddle and if it sizzles really well around the edges – it is ready!
- Then add oil (or margarine).
- Pour cakes; flip them when the tops bubble.
Recipe Courtesy of Laura Knapp.