This recipe is very versatile. Any of the seeds and nuts can be traded out for what you have on hand. You can also leave out the buckwheat if you don’t have it handy, or change out the dried fruits.
Servings: 6 cups
1 tablespoon flax meal
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup buckwheat groats
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup walnuts, cashews, or a mix, chopped
1 cup raisins, cranberries, or a mix
1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes
- Heat oven to 250°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flax meal, water, maple syrup, vanilla, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, buckwheat, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and walnuts.
- Add the liquid mixture to the oats and nuts. Stir to coat completely.
- Spread on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 250° for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes. Can bake an additional 15 minutes at 350° to make the granola extra crunchy.
- Pull from oven and mix in the raisins, cranberries, and coconut flakes.
- Let cool completely before putting away.
Recipe Courtesy of Kevin Archer*
*Please note, although Food Empowerment Project is linking to other organizations for their work on promoting local and organic produce or fair trade products, we do not necessarily endorse the entire content of their website or mission.