Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 Poblano chile or red bell pepper
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground annatto seed
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chile
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 4 cups vegetable stock, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, minced
- Place heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add onion, Poblano or bell pepper, and jalapeno. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, annatto, oregano, cumin, and chile powder. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add cooked black beans, vegetable stock, and sea salt. Bring to simmer. Simmer until heated throughout.
- Add cilantro or parsley. Remove from heat.
Courtesy of Kevin Archer*
*Please note, although Food Empowerment Project is linking to other organizations for their work on promoting local and organic produce or fair trade products, we do not necessarily endorse the entire content of their website or mission.