1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion
1 Poblano chile or red bell pepper
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced, optional
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground annatto seed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground chile
2 cups cooked black beans
4 cups vegetable stock, unsalted
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, minced
- Place heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add onion, Poblano or bell pepper, and jalapeno. Sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, annatto, oregano, cumin, and chile powder. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add cooked black beans, vegetable stock, and sea salt. Bring to simmer. Simmer until heated throughout.
- Add cilantro or parsley. Remove from heat.
Recipe Courtesy of Kevin Archer*