Indian comfort food, no doubt. Abounding in flavor and easy to make, aloo gobi should be in everyone’s repertoire.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground chile
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 pound potato, diced
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 cup water
1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup green peas, frozen or fresh, shelled
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Warm the oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add cumin and fenugreek, and sauté over medium heat, until cumin changes to a darker shade.
- Add curry powder, coriander, chile, and turmeric. Stir well and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and mix well. Immediately add onion, and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Add potato, salt, and the water. Mix well. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add cauliflower and half the lemon juice. Cover and cook till potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the remaining lemon juice if necessary.
- Add peas and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe Courtesy of Kevin Archer*
*Please note, although Food Empowerment Project is linking to other organizations for their work on promoting local and organic produce or fair trade products, we do not necessarily endorse the entire content of their website or mission.