Roasting vegetables brings their flavors into fuller focus, adding nicely caramelized edges. The balsamic reduces as the vegetables roast, making this dish irresistible.
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 fennel bulb
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Trim ends of Brussels sprouts and remove outer layer of leaves. Slice in half through the base and place in mixing bowl.
- Trim end of fennel bulb, and remove outer layers if blemished. Cut ¼” thick slices, perpendicular to the root, up to the green stalks. Place in bowl with Brussels sprouts.
- Add shallots, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper. Toss well.
- Place in 2 quart casserole dish. Roast uncovered at 425° for 35 minutes, tossing periodically.
Recipe courtesy of Kevin Archer*
*Please note, although Food Empowerment Project is linking to other organizations for their work on promoting local and organic produce or fair trade products, we do not necessarily endorse the entire content of their website or mission.