Job Title: Office Assistant
Hours/Week: 20 hours/week
Number of openings: 1
Reports To: Executive Director
Date: January 26, 2016
Deadline to Apply: March 31, 2016
*Attn: This job description has changed since its original posting. Please review all details before applying.
About Food Empowerment Project:
Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P) seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We are a vegan food justice organization that encourages healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the unavailability of healthy foods in low-income areas, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the depletion of natural resources, the abuse of animals on farms, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor.
By making informed choices, we can prevent injustices against people, the environment, and animals. We work to discourage negligent corporations from pushing unhealthy foods into low-income areas and empower people to make healthier choices by growing their own fruits and vegetables. Overall, Food Empowerment Project focuses to empower those with the fewest resources
For more information, please visit foodispower.org.
The Office Assistant will be responsible for the smooth, day-to-day operations of the office as well as for program assistance as determined by the Executive Director. Areas of responsibility are articulated below.
Office Assistant responsibilities include:
- Maintaining office services by organizing office operations and procedures, controlling correspondence, and designing filing systems
- Communicating with office space management and keeping office in working order
- Contributing to team effort by assisting with various requests
- Assisting with bank deposits, donor database, and thank you letters
- Maintaining a weekly list of action items to complete
- Responding to emails, volunteer requests and sending out material and merchandise requests
- Keeping up with updates and assessing the needs of Square Reader, online sales & donations
- Entering transactions into Quickbooks and running reports
Social Media responsibilities include:
- Posting on Facebook and Twitter (once to twice a day) and following up with responses, supporters, and people who mention F.E.P. and/or re-Tweet F.E.P.
- Posting F.E.P. events on local email lists and Facebook pages
- Creating and updating F.E.P. Facebook event pages and corresponding with people
- Taking photos of events when attending (for social media)
- Keeping up with Google Adwords and keeping it current
Food Chain Newsletter responsibilities include:
- Mailing Food Chain twice a month (start of month and mid-month)
- Emailing Food Chain recipients the final survey (including three follow-ups)
- Keeping up with new addresses for Food Chain recipients; email when necessary (once a month)
Events responsibilities include:
- Organizing tabling materials for events and unloading materials
- Keeping up with inventory, including the need to re-order t-shirts and chocolates
- Entering sign-up sheet information from events into online database (or Excel)
- Assisting Executive Director with program work and travel
- Joining with volunteers to help plan and execute F.E.P. events
Any tabling, events or work done on the weekends or evening will not be paid unless as agreed upon.
Minimum Requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 1-2 years experience in office management and/or as an executive assistant or office assistant
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Organized and self-motivated, dependable and detail-oriented; Able to work independently
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong computer skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, Google drive or other management systems
- Social media marketing & public relations skills
- Understanding of Food Empowerment Project’s mission and philosophy
People of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
Please review our website prior to applying. Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P.) is an ethics-based organization and we are searching for individuals whose ethics and values are similar to our organization’s mission. Please be sure to include in your cover letter how your personal values and practices are parallel with F.E.P.’s overall mission and goals.
To apply, send cover letter and resume in a single pdf document, titled “[YourLastName]_OfficeAssistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31st. For more information please email email@example.com.
Food Empowerment Project is a vegan food justice organization and a registered non-profit 501(c)(3) based in Rohnert Park, CA.