Job Title: Vallejo Event Organizer (contract position)
Hours/Week: March-June 2016; 5-10 hours weekly; hours will increase to 15-20 weekly closer to the event
Compensation: $500 monthly stipend
Number of openings: 1
Reports To: Executive Director
Date: January 20, 2016
About Food Empowerment Project:
Food Empowerment Project (F.E.P) seeks to create a more just and sustainable world by recognizing the power of one’s food choices. We are a vegan food justice organization that encourages healthy food choices that reflect a more compassionate society by spotlighting the unavailability of healthy foods in low-income areas, unfair working conditions for produce workers, the depletion of natural resources, the abuse of animals on farms, and the importance of not purchasing chocolate that comes from the worst forms of child labor.
By making informed choices, we can prevent injustices against people, the environment, and animals. We work to discourage negligent corporations from pushing unhealthy foods into low-income areas and empower people to make healthier choices by growing their own fruits and vegetables. Overall, Food Empowerment Project focuses to empower those with the fewest resources
For more information, please visit foodispower.org.
The Vallejo Event Organizer will work remotely with Food Empowerment Project on the planning, organizing, and execution of a one-time Community Mobilization Event in June 2016 in Vallejo, CA celebrating the release of F.E.P.’s report Vallejo: City of Opportunity Lacks Access to Healthy Foods. The Mobilization Event will raise public awareness regarding the issues resulting in this lack of access to healthy foods with the goal of creating enthusiasm and a demand for change in the current status driven by and for community members.
The Organizer must be able to work with community members and organizations in the execution of the event, while carrying out Food Empowerment Project’s philosophy. We are seeking applicants who have experience planning, coordinating, and executing events at a community based level.
Job responsibilities include:
- Working with local community members, organizations, and policy makers in the planning and execution of the Community Mobilization Event
- Planning layout and program of event
- Securing and booking a suitable venue
- Ensuring insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are adhered to
- Coordinating and securing vegan food vendors and donations
- Identifying and securing speakers or entertainers
- Recruit and lead volunteer team
- Liaising with F.E.P. colleagues to promote the event
- Liaising with F.E.P. graphic designer to create a brand for the event and organizing the production of tickets, posters, plus social media coverage
- Overseeing the dismantling and removal of the event and clearing the venue efficiently
- Post-event evaluation survey (including data entry and analysis and producing reports for event stakeholders).
Minimum Requirements include:
- 1-2 years experience in event planning and/or community organizing as a staff or volunteer
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Organized and self-motivated, dependable and detail-oriented; Able to work independently
- Strong computer skills in Word, Outlook, Excel, Google drive or other management systems
- Social media marketing & public relation skills
- General knowledge of local communities surrounding Vallejo and food justice issues
- Understanding of Food Empowerment Project’s mission and philosophy
- Resident of Vallejo
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Tagalog
People of color, women, immigrants, LGBTQ, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply!
To apply send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 5th, 2016 5pm. For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Food Empowerment Project is a vegan food justice organization and a registered non-profit 501(c)(3.